Pages

Friday 7 December 2012

Ruth and her kinsman Redeemer

I have always loved the story of Ruth and Boaz, maybe because I'm a romantic at heart. It is a beautiful love story in the best book book ever written, the Bible. Ruth, a Moabitess, suffered some heartaches-- a death of a husband, leaving the country of her birth.What I see in Ruth is her capacity to love and trust. She loved Naomi so much, she was willing to leave everything behind and trust her mother-in-law's God.  

Boaz, the kinsman, was a rich man who owned a field. The Bible calls him "a mighty man of wealth". I love how he notices Ruth gleaning in his field and asks his servants "Whose damsel is this?" He took interest in her and tells her not to glean in another field but his and to drink of his vessels when she is thirsty. He wanted to take care of her. In chapter 3, this is where the title "our handfuls of purpose" came from. Boaz was so concerned about Ruth, that he commanded his servants to make sure that they "let fall also some of the handfuls of purpose for her, and leave them, that she may glean them, and rebuke her not". Boaz wanted to make sure that there was enough wheat for her to glean. He loved her. At the end of the book of Ruth, I can say that they "lived happily ever after".  

The story of Boaz and Ruth is a beautiful typology of Christ and his Bride. Jesus Christ is my kinsman Redeemer. While working in His field, sometimes it is hard, but Jesus always gives me "handfuls of purpose" to keep going. I am so weak so He gives me special "handfuls" to encourage and strengthen me.  Jesus Christ is my Saviour, my God and my friend. He saved me from eternal punishment in the lake of fire and He didn't stop there. He gives me grace, love, hope, provision, peace, strength, boldness to help me each day. 

I am truly thankful that Christ took an interest in me.


"The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust". 
Ruth 2:12


1 comment:

  1. I love that too Han. :) A beautiful love story in the Bible! One of my favourites. I too am thankful that the Lord gives us grace for every day! He knows what we need, when we need it Amen! :) Love your new blog by the way. Very cute. Hehe Im excited you have one! :) Miss you! And will keep in touch via our blogs. :) xx

    ReplyDelete